Odyssey Weyr : A Dragonrider's of Pern AU RPG Sept 19, 2011 2:55:53 GMT
Post by Odyssey Staff on Sept 19, 2011 2:55:53 GMT
When AIVAS was re-discovered, the people of Pern thought they had been saved and could prosper. For about 600 Turns, the planet was a veritable utopia, with even new colors of dragons appearing. But as time went on, these new colors dwindled and eventually disappeared. Nothing was thought of it until the dry seasons started getting longer, and the crops withered away. As people began starving, the plague returned. Thousands of people and dragons died in the following 15 Turns. The famine refused to leave and the decimated population couldn’t recover, even after the illness waned. The Southern continent had lost nearly all its settlers and even in the North, only three Holds - Benden, Lemos, and High Reaches - remained. Scattered survivors made their way to these Holds as they couldn’t cultivate the land by themselves.
The Weyrs were the hardest hit. Only three Queens survived, and the dragon population as a whole was a fourth of what it was. High Reaches and Benden took in who was left, two Queens going to Benden and one to High Reaches. A time of hardship, but peace, reigned for 50 turns. When the last Weyrleader betweened due to old age, the younger generation took over. A red dot had appeared in the sky, something that was never supposed come back. Little mind was paid to it, as the Weyrs were squabbling over the scant resources that remained. It seemed that times of plenty were memories of the past and the Weyrs staked their claims. Innocent Holders were caught in the middle as a stolen Queen egg sparked an all out war.
The Red Star returned, showering the unprepared Pern folk. Dragons died and the remaining green land was rendered useless for cultivation. Benden and High Reaches rediscovered firestone mines and were able to protect themselves from Thread… and turn their flames on each other. They cared little for protecting Holders; they were there to serve their Weyr and as a result, entire settlements were obliterated in clashes between the two.
At this time, a goldrider close to retirement grew disgusted with the violence; when her gold rose for what would probably be the last time, she came up with a plan to defect and create a new Weyr. One founded in order to eventually grow and smack some sense into the warring Weyrs. She sent blue and green riders out to scout, and they returned with news of a small oasis with a dormant volcano that would be perfect for a Weyr. The best part was that it was well hidden, so the chances of being discovered would be slim.
Taking a small group with her, the goldrider founded Odyssey. They were searched for, but the Queen imposed silence and all dragons were grounded. Benden and High Reaches gave up but knew the Weyr existed, not that it mattered - they were more focused on destroying one another than finding the renegades. The Weyrwoman’s gold clutched and a new generation hatched. Thread fell and they flew against it, protecting the surrounding Holds, hoping to gain support. While that didn’t happen, they did discover why the oasis was untouched by Thread. The grubs had made it North and had survived in pockets. In a surprise, the gold rose again less than 6 months later and this clutch produced some odd colors. Midnights and tribals hatched and Impressed. They didn’t appear to have defects and could even flame without firestone.
The elation was short lived as the Weyrwoman succumbed to age and a chronic heart condition. The Weyrleader led the best he could, but without a Queen, how would the Weyr survive? Then one of the midnight’s rose and was caught. To everyone’s surprise, she clutched and healthy hatchlings tumbled out of the eggs. It seemed that there was hope after all. Four turns later and Odyssey is still growing and is earning some support from the close lying settlements. Soon they’ll be strong enough to start running raids against Benden and High Reaches. Will they succeed, or bring about their own destruction?
What We Offer:
- Several color mutations available for pre-creation (both dragons and whers).
- A female bluerider and two male green dragons.
- A fun semi to non-cannon board, with fun loving, active Admins.
- Clutches of everything on the way and new creatures to discover.
- Raids, battles, and other plotty things coming up soon as well.
- New refreshing all male Weyrleadership. Will it help or harm the Weyr?
- Strangers with a dark, egg heavy wher have appeared, so there will be a wher hatching soon!
- A few riders have seen a rare gold flitt around the Wilderness - will a clutch be found?
- A few of the riders believe they can raid Benden and High Reaches during the next battle. Will you go against the Weyrleaders orders to stay away?
- Strange furballs that look like lint with eyes and teeth have started to appear, and no one knows what they are.
- People have been venturing into the Wilderness and not returning, or returning with strange tales of ghosts.
- And to top it off, Benden is getting a little violent between battles and coming after the Holdings surrounding Odyssey. Will Odyssey retaliate and join the war?